Did you know that churches are eligible for free Google ads? It’s true, and this Google Grants guide will help you take advantage of this benefit so you can see more website traffic, online sermon views, and visitors to your church.
Google Ad Grants is a program that provides free digital advertising to eligible nonprofits. Churches that qualify for the Google Grants program can receive up to $10,000 per month in free online ads.
Although nobody wants to turn down free advertising, results aren’t necessarily automatic. Tune in as we explain more about how to meet your goals. In this Google Grants guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know as a church to make ads work effectively for you.
Table of contents
What Are Google Ad Grants and Who Are They For?
Google Ad Grants are a way for Google to give back to registered charities. If your church is a 501(c)(3) organization, it likely qualifies for the program and provides up to $120,000 per year in free online advertising through Google Ads (formerly known as Google AdWords).
Google ads can appear on any website incorporating Google’s ad technology. This includes websites of all sizes along with the Google home page and search results pages.
The program aims to help charities and nonprofits like yours promote their causes and reach more people with their message.
While $10K a month in free advertising sounds like a no-brainer, it’s not a magic solution. The program doesn’t automatically guarantee successful ad campaigns. Instead, it provides the resources (specifically, the ad budget) that empowers you to create and run effective campaigns.
We know some people are skeptical about Google Grants, but we assure you this program can be an incredible asset for churches. However, you need to know how to run Google ads effectively, so we wanted to give you this Google Grants guide.
The Benefits of Google Ads for Your Church
There are several benefits of using a Google Ad Grants for your church. Here are a few of the top reasons you want to put this Google Grants guide to work immediately:
- Reach new people with your message. Since your ads will show up when people search for keywords related to your church’s mission, you’re likely to reach people who are already interested in what you have to say.
- Promote your church’s events and programs. For example, if you’re running a campaign to promote your church’s summer camp or VBS, people looking for summer kids’ activities can click through and learn more about it.
- Drive traffic to your church’s website. For example, if you’re running a campaign to promote your weekend services, people who see your ad can click through and watch it online.
- Build brand awareness for your church. As more people see your ads, they’ll become familiar with your church’s name and mission.
How to Sign Up for Google Ad Grants
The first step is to make sure that your church is registered as a 501(c)(3) organization. If not, then you can apply for tax-exempt status with the IRS.
Once you’ve done that, you can begin the Google Ad Grants application process. The application includes questions about your church’s budget, website, and marketing goals. You’ll also need to submit some documentation to prove your 501(c)(3) status.
After you’ve submitted your application, Google will review it and decide whether or not your church is eligible. If you’re approved, you’ll receive an email from Google with instructions on how to set up your account.
Remember that the application process can take several weeks, so apply as early as possible.
Use Your Google Ad Grant
Once you’ve been approved, you’ll need to set up your account and start creating your ad campaigns. If you’re not familiar with Google Ads, here are the basics.
The first thing you need to do is create a campaign. In your campaign, you’ll set your budget, choose your target audience, and decide what keywords you want to use.
Once you set up your campaign, you’ll need to create your ad. Your ad is what people will see when they search for one of your keywords.
You’ll need to write a headline, description, and display URL for your ad. You also need to ensure you have a target landing page, which is where people will be taken when they click on your ad.
Finally, you’ll need to set a bid for your ad. A bid is how much you’re willing to pay each time someone clicks on your ad.
Once you’ve created your campaign and ad, you’ll need to wait for Google to approve them. Once approved, your ads will start running, and people will start seeing them when they search for your keywords.
Things To Keep in Mind When Creating Your Google Ads Campaign
To wrap up this Google Grants guide, we want to ensure you keep a few things in mind when creating your Google Ads campaign.
- Your ad must be relevant to your keywords. For example, if you’re running a campaign to promote your church’s Vacation Bible School, ensure that your ad includes the words “Vacation Bible School” in the headline and description.
- Ensure that your ad is well-written. Your ad should be clear and concise and include a clear call to action.
- Your destination URL should be relevant to your ad. Whatever you’re advertising, send people directly to a relevant landing page.
- Your ad should be targeted to your audience. When you create your ad, you’ll have the opportunity to choose who sees it based on location, age, and interests. So make sure you target your ad to those most likely interested in what you’re advertising.
This Google Grants guide provides an overview of what the program offers, why churches should take advantage of it, and how to get started. If you’re unfamiliar with Google Ads, this is just an introduction to the basics.
Here at REACHRIGHT, helping churches with Google Ad Grants is one of our favorite things to do! We can help you apply for the program, set up your account and ads, manage your ads to continue meeting your goals, stay compliant with Google’s regulations, and deliver detailed monthly reports.
Reach out to the team today to get started with Google Ad Grants for your church!